The Princes Theatre, Town Hall, Clacton on Sea, Monday nights 7.30 pm
October to March, 16 Evenings of superb entertainment for little more than £3 per evening for members or £10.00 for individual performances at the box office on the night. (Admission after 7-15 pm for box office tickets)
To join the Society next season which starts October 2021, please contact Mrs. Anne Needham Telephone: 01255 429287
Due to social distancing and the theatres offering us limited seating, we have reluctantly decided to delay the start of our 2020/21 season until October 2021
There will be an AGM on the 22nd of March 2021, where you will be able to catch up with friends and acquaintances.
Monday Night at the Princes Theatre
- The Society, which is one of the largest of its kind in the United Kingdom and was founded in December 1904.
- It has a membership in excess of 850.
- It is a registered Charity-Number 801385.
- The Society meets in the Princes Theatre part of the prestigious Clacton Town Hall complex on sixteen Monday evenings between October through to March.
- The objects of the Society are “To promote, improve, develop and maintain public education in an appreciation of Science and the Arts, including the Arts of literature, music and drama.”
- The Society now uses entertainment as a means of meeting these objectives and in a typical season eight evenings are devoted to music (in many forms) and eight are given over to drama, dance, slides and lectures often with an adventurous or scientific interest. The programme is varied and wide ranging.
- The aim is to bring to our Members high quality performers and speakers with an international reputation and also to promote performers of quality who may not be so well known but are the stars of the future.
- The Society is large enough to attract performers and groups of international reputation. Recently artistes appearing have included – Nick Baker, Adam Henson, John Pilkington, Eric Knowles, Micheal Portillo, Edwina Currie, Pam Ayres, Hatstand Opera and Lord Robert Winston. Drama, opera and dance presentations have also been staged.
- The Clacton & North East Essex Arts & Literary Society is funded by a very reasonable annual membership subscription and by generous donations and sponsorship.
- The Committee endeavours to ensure that all members feel part of the Society, therefore, we maintain the tradition of our Edwardian origins and members are greeted on arrival by committee members who wear black tie for the occasion.
- Events are promoted through membership mailing, local press, local radio, and the website. www.clactonartsandlits.com